In my research, I explore innovation in the media industries, asking how organizations within an old institution (the press) adapt to and appropriate new technologies. In particular, I focus on how news organizations capture data traces from their users and put that resource to use in strategic and tactical decision-making. Furthermore, I research developments in digital business models for media organizations.
I currently work on a number of projects, and it would be too much to list all of them here. But the most important one is:
- The Datafied News Industry (2020-): In this project, I research the political economy of how news organizations capture, use, and understand user data as a strategic and editorial resource. Starting January 1, 2024, the Datafied News Industry (DANI) research project is a research core group generously funded by the Velux Foundations.
- Micropayments and Datawalls (2022-2023)
- Business models and futures of the Danish podcast market (2020-2022)
- Digital News Agendas in Scandinavia (2017-2021)
- From Ivory Tower to Twitter (2013-2019)
- Nordic Research Network in Journalism Studies (2010-2013)
- News on the Web (2010-2013)
My profile @ RUC.